Friday, September 18, 2009

Stitches (Warning! Kind of gross picture!)

So yesterday was a very exciting day for us! Doran cried and cried before we dropped him off at preschool. His teacher said she would call us if he didn't stop crying in 5 minutes. Luckily she didn't call! She did call at 10:50 but for a completely different reason! She said they were having music time and Doran fell and hit his head. She told me it was bleeding and she wasn't sure whether it needed stitches or not! I rushed over and got him and it was the yuckiest cut! I guess he tripped and hit on the corner of the coffee table! It was so wide and so deep I decided I wasn't going to take any chances, so I just took him straight to the ER. (The pictures don't show how deep it was. It was crazy, I have never seen a smaller cut be so deep!)
So we took him to the ER and he was so grumpy! He just wanted to go home! They put some stuff on it while we waited to try to numb it so the numbing shots didn't hurt as bad. It is hard to say whether it worked or not, but when he got those shots he was screaming bloody murder! Then the doctor came in and decided he needed one of those full body restraint things so he could do the stitches. He got three in the inner layer and five on the outside! He was crying and yelling the whole time. It is a good thing they restrained him too because he was fighting! He kept yelling, 'I am done now! I am done now! No fingers on me! No fingers on me!' And then finally he just got so sad and started saying, 'Mommy! I am wanna be done!' It was heart breaking. They kept chuckling at the things he would scream through his crying and all you could see was a little bit of his eye through all the sterile cloths and that made it even sadder. When they finally were done and let him out he was damp from sweating! Poor little guy!
I am just hoping it doesn't scar to bad! A lot of it is in his eyebrow so I hope that helps. But through all this Brock was an angel! Hopefully it is along time before we have to do this again!

8 comments:

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...

Poor little guy; poor Mom. It's so hard to see your baby hurting and know that you can't do anything but help the doctors and hope it gets done fast. I'm glad that's over with and that he's okay--hopefully there's no permanent scarring (on him or you).

Lyndsy Tippetts said...

so dang sad! i hate it when the scream to stop, and you have to just keep going! poor dor dor!

amber schmidt said...

sad! Landon had a bad cut in the middle of his forehead about two years ago and i can't see it all now.

Melissa said...

Oh how sad!! I hate it when kids get hurt. I don't know if it's worse for the kid or the parent. Hope he gets feeling better.

Katie Goss said...

Bring him to me next time!!! We dont use the restraints or the drapes on kids---its too traumatic!
As for the scar, dont leave the stitches in longer than 5 days and sunscreen EVERYDAY!!!!! Even in the winter. Poor lil buddy!

Jen Yak said...

Poor Doran! He looks so pale in those pictures. It breaks my heart!

Catrina Poulson said...

aww, poor buddy. Sam had to have stitches in his chin when he was barely one, I can't even see the mark anymore! He was wrapped too, and cried so much he fell asleep! And the crying doing coordinate with the needle going in or anything, so I'm sure he couldn't feel it. I hope he heals fast!!

Angi Snyder said...

Jack had stitches in about the same place, no sign of it now. That is horrible about the restraints and stuff. THey are such jerks! I had to take Ty to the dentist once when he fell out of a cart and broke off his two front teeth, they restrained him and he broke throught the restraints. It sucks to be a mom at those times!