Friday, July 29, 2011

Pioneer Day

Sunday was a day that changed the Hadlock family forever. I got a call from my mom around 7:30 and instantly knew something was very wrong. She was hysterical and told me she couldn't come to see me talk in sacrament meeting. I asked her what was wrong and she told me Poppy had a stroke. She didn't know anymore, but was on her way to the ER right then. She actually beat the ambulance to it. I started crying to Seth and we both were so worried. Then I realized Susan had been there and more then likely knew what was going on, so I called her. She answered by saying she was just calling me. Granny needed Seth to come down immediately to give Poppy a blessing. Seth got up and left and I sat with Gaygay and Abby (who had come over in their pjs to start a fast) waiting to hear word. While we were sitting Donald called and told Christine she better come down. The boys and I all jumped in the car still in our pajamas, no teeth brushed, breakfast, or anything. Seth called me while I was driving down and he was crying. That is when I really knew the gravity of the situation. I called Ryan and Jennifer and told them Poppy wasn't going to make it through the day. I could barely believe what I was saying. Everything was so normal the day before. When I pulled into the hospital I saw the row of cars in the ER parking was all my family cars. Not a sight you see very often and one you never want to see. When I got into the ER the first person I saw was a paramedic from my ward. He was going to be taking Poppy down to the Provo hospital. I rushed in the room to talk to Poppy. I whispered in his ear letting him know how much the boys, Seth, Ryan, Jen, Brooks, and I all love him. It was so hard seeing him like that. The doctor said he had a massive stroke and that it was continuing to bleed. There was absolutely nothing that could be done. They moved him down to Provo because it is a better facility. Once there they did more scans. Both hemispheres of his brain were filled with blood. I couldn't believe my Poppy, who was so active and healthy was fighting to breath. It still doesn't seem real now. As the day passed I was so grateful for Seth. He was so strong all day. He helped Poppy throughout the day. He held his jaw up for hours helping keep his airway open. He was so tender with him. He also jumped to help suction him when he vomited and that saved him from choking to death. I will never forget how amazing he was. Poppy passed away at 5:47 on Pioneer Day, his favorite holiday. As painful as it is to have him gone and the pain of missing him, it is equally as painful to see Granny in pain. She has been with Poppy since she was 16. She is such a strong and amazing woman, but she is so sad and heartbroken. I feel helpless that I cannot do anything to ease her burden and pain.
The viewing was last night and the funeral was today. Last night at the viewing before it even started there was a line almost out the door. Everyone loves Poppy. I guess they also had heard him say if you aren't 5 minutes early, you are late. The funeral today was beautiful. There were flowers everywhere that were sent from all over the country. The church was packed full of people. My mom spoke first and gave a beautiful life sketch. She said Poppy made her feel like she was his favorite child, but she knew all the other kids felt they were each his favorite child too. He had the ability to make everyone feel like they were the most special person there has ever been. Lisa, Susan, and Donald all spoke next. They all said beautiful things about Poppy and you could really feel the love they had for him. His brother Lyle then played a beautiful piano number he had put together for him that was a compilation of songs that were Poppy. It was impossible not to sob during it. He played hush little baby at the beginning and end of it and we were all sobbing. Poppy has always taken the baby grandkids into his arms, holds them to his chest, pats their back, and sings hush little baby don't say a word, Poppys gonna buy you a mockingbird.... It is hard to think we will never hear that again. If there are anymore babies, they will not be blessed with Poppy's sweet comfort. I am so grateful that my boys knew their Poppy and I will never let them forget him.




Lonnie spoke next and shared a story I loved. He said how in highschool Poppy and his football team were on the bus heading back from losing a tough, close game. Some team members were crying. Poppy said it was the best bus ride he had ever had because he sat in the back of the bus trading horses with the janitor! He loved horses his whole life. The bishop spoke last. He said, "Don't let this create an irreplaceable void in our lives, but a gentle invitation to follow his example." It is comforting to know that we can see Poppy again. I am so grateful for him and will strive to be as faithful as he was. What a great example Poppy was for all of his family who loved him dearly.

I am so grateful I have pictures of both of my boys doing hush little baby with Poppy. He was always so funny, but he was so sweet and loving.
Today when I got home from the funeral I pulled my lucky horseshoe Poppy gave me out from under my mattress. He gave all of his grandkids a horseshoe 12 years ago and told us whoever still had it in 75 years would get $1000. I tucked mine under my mattress as a good luck charm and have brought it with every move. I could do the math when he gave it to me and knew it would never actually get me $1000, but it has always been a special token of Poppy.


2 comments:

Jen Yak said...

I loved that Coley! Take care of Granny for me.

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...

Such a beautiful tribute; I cried through the entire thing and I didn't even know your Poppy. He sounds really special; I'm sorry for your loss.