
In June I posted that we got a dog. It actually has been a dog that has been in the Engman family for seven or eight years. However, due to a few moves in June he needed a new home and we gladly took him. When Papa brought him over that night Doran jumped out of bed and gave him a big hug and he told Papa, "She is a boy, huh Papa?"

We all instantly loved him. He is the most easy going dog you could ever imagine. He really likes to be by someone at all times. I tripped over him a few times because he would always follow me and I would turn around and there he would be. We had such a good summer with him. Seth took him running one night and he almost made it a mile, but a little bit before they hit the mile Sampy just collapsed and was done! We aren't really sure how old he is because he was adopted, but we are thinking he is around eleven now.

At the beginning of November we started to realize something might be going wrong with him so we took him into the vet. He was peeing blood and was dripping some blood and pus as well and he had lost quite a bit of weight. They said he had a UTI and an enlarged prostate, but not to worry about that. They said the UTI would more then likely come back because a male adult dog doesn't generally get one without an underlying reason. Three weeks later his prescription was gone, but he was going to the bathroom even more and was even waking us up during the night. So we took him in again and this time we did some x-rays. They didn't show any stones or anything, but his prostate was gigantic. The vet said you aren't even supposed to be able to see the prostate and his was very large. We did a blood draw to see if he could have a prostate infection, but it came back clean. We still put him on the antibiotic because it was really the last hope. A week later and he was, once again, even worse. His urine was pretty much bright red and he was sometimes crying as soon as we took him in from taking him out. I talked to the vet and from there we would have to go to an animal hospital and either try to get a cancer diagnosis with ultrasounds, biopsys, and special xrays or try to find out if he had an undecended teste through pretty much the same types of tests. He told me either way those are two serious problems and a dog his age probably wouldn't do well with either. He said putting a dog to sleep in this situation is sometimes a kind option for a dog because it just wants to feel loved and healthy. When I hung up with him I got teary eyed and knew what we would have to do. Then I went to the pantry and got him some junk food because it didn't matter anymore. The next day I told Doran and Brock that Sampy is going to leave us and go live with Heavenly Father and Jesus. Brock said, "Sampy's wiener is hurt, huh Mommy?" Doran said, "Heavenly Father and Jesus are going to be so happy because they don't have a dog. They are going to love him." I know they love him and that we have been blessed to have such a sweet and loving dog in our family and home.

Tomorrow is going to be a very hard day for us. When Doran walks into the house the first thing he does is yell for Sampy. Tomorrow he won't be there. I knew I had to post this today because I won't be able to for a long time after tomorrow. Atleast all dogs go to heaven... and even if they didn't, Sampy would. Bye Sampy. We love you so much.
1 comment:
I will miss Sampy too. He was a really good dog. I hope things are going ok, I am sure you will always miss and love him.
Post a Comment