Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th



I can recall September 11, 2001 very clearly. It can remember it as well as I remember my wedding day and the days the boys were born. I was driving to school and the djs got very quiet and then they reported that a plane had just struck the World Trade Center. I arrived to school quite early and just sat in my car listening to the radio. I was so scared. A little bit later my friend Nicole came and got in the car to listen with me, and then Jolynne. We stayed in my car the whole first period listening to the radio and feeling so scared. We finally ran in to the school when one of the towers fell. Then I found out I didn't need to ditch first period because all the class did was watch the news. All my classes except one watched the news all day. Teachers were just as sad and scared as students. I watched the news during lunch. When Brooks got home from school I told him he couldn't play. It was a bad day. We had our senior picnic that evening. I remember thinking we shouldn't be there trying to have fun with what was going on else where in our country. That day was the first time I truly felt patriotic and proud to be an American. The next few weeks and months the feelings even intensified. Driving down state street it was hard to not see a car with an American flag. The stories of heros in New York, D.C., and the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania were inspiring. I will never forget how I felt that day and year. I love our country. I am proud to be an American.

No comments: