Friday, February 11, 2011

History

Today I spent a lot of the day visiting with my Granny and Poppy about their history. I have known a lot for awhile, but I still know so little. Sometimes it is crazy to think I know so little about 2 people who have always been so important in my life. Today while I was there Poppy told Katie and I to get our cameras ready because he was going to take us somewhere special. He said it was one of Granny's old 'houses'. She lived in it after her family moved out of the tent they lived in. I badgered Granny for answers and in some areas she couldn't remember much. I think the memories were to painful for her so she has slowly erased them. If she told Poppy them, then he will still remember. We drove up 400 South in Orem and turned on to a little dead end gravel road. There was a house to the right and on the edge of their property is an old shed/garage. This is where Granny, her four brothers, and her parents lived for 2 or 3 years. It was just on the ground, dirt floor, one room. It was very humbling. My family room is bigger then it. She said they would hang sheets up to seperate 'rooms'. Katie was able to get her camera in one of the cracks and got a picture inside. There is no kitchen, bathroom, or anything. I had always known Granny spent some of her childhood living in a tent, but I never asked where they went after. I just assumed it had to be better. I am not so sure after seeing this.

I decided I needed to start at the beginning for both of them. They were both born in the Los Angeles area in 1942. Both of their families were from Utah. I asked Poppy why both their families had moved to California or if it was just a coincidence. He told me that in the Great Depression and World War II it was very hard to get work here in Utah. Both of their Dads (who didn't know each other at any point until Granny and Poppy dated I assume) moved their families to California where the economy was booming due to things like shipping docks. Poppy said his family didn't last very long there. He was back by the time he was three months old. Utah's economy got a much needed boost that year because of a new company called Geneva Steel. Poppy said Geneva Steel and him were born the same year, but he has out lived it. Thank heavens! Poppy's family lived in Orem on 900 West. He told me a story of when he was 4 years old and his home burned to the ground. He said he went out to play down the street. He came back a little bit later and his house was on fire! It burned down. They moved in with a relative who lived next door while they rebuilt it. I have been in the rebuilt home many times. It is neat to know Poppy was a little boy that lived and roamed that area! He told me his generation is a tough generation. They are held accountable for their actions. He told a story that had me laughing so hard I was nearly in tears. When he was in the fourth grade he needed to go the restroom so he asked the teachers permission. He told Poppy to wait 10 minutes until recess. Once the bell rang for recess Poppy took off to go to the bathroom and the teacher tried to stop him to be nice and friendly, probably to tell him thanks for waiting, and Poppy turned around and punched him in the chin!!! He said the teacher whipped his butt for it and that is just how things were! Granny had never heard that story before today. He said his parent never did either.

Granny's family stayed in L.A. for a couple years. While there she lost a little sister to SIDs. From there they moved to the Uintah Basin and into a relatives home. From there it was to the tent. The tent was located about where the Lindon Home Depot is now. She is not sure how long she lived there and doesn't know if her brothers will remember either. Both of her parents were afflicted with the disease of alcoholism. She had great parents and I know she loved them very much, but she has had a harder life then anyone I know. I think she has tried to erase lots of the bad memories she had. The shed/gargae house was next. Sometime either in the tent or the shed/garage she lost a little brother in a tragic car accident. From the shed/garage house they moved to an outdated home in American Fork that didn't even have toilets or running water. She said one day she was playing outside and saw a tiny little girl walking down the street. She said to her, "Hi little girl. How old are you?" Come to find out she was older then Granny! That little girl became her good friend. The little girl's mother took care of Granny in special ways from then on. She would buy her clothes and anytime she would buy her own children anything she would get my Granny something as well. In American Fork her little brother was born. Her Mom never drank again from the day he was born. She quit cold turkey! I think I know where Granny gets her toughness from. They moved around a bit in American Fork, but I think that is where they mainly stayed. Her Mom died from Addison disease when Granny was only 27. Her Dad had gotten sober at some point and had stayed sober for 20 years. He relapsed later in life. He died in 1976. Just a few years before Ryan was born. Her little brother Leonard wrote a beautiful tribute to their parents. I asked Granny's permission to type it here.


To my parents Orrin & Della


My mother and my father were very loving parents. They raised seven children in very difficult times. Only five of us grew into adulthood, to really know how much they sacrificed to make sure we were happy, not only in life but happy in what we were doing. They were both afflicted with a disease that we call alcoholism. It robbed them both of many a happy moment and many a happy year. But in between their battles they found time to help us, to nourish us, and to encourage us. They showed us that a good woman, only makes a better man, and a good woman and a better man makes a pretty fine family. Do I sound like I'm bragging? Well if I do, I'm not sorry. The descendents of Orrin and Della Norton are some of the best people on the face of this planet.

Orrin Leon is the kind of big brother every girl and boy wishes they had. He's caring, loving, and will help anyone at the drop of a hat. Nobody has to ask him to help a second time, because Leon is there the first time. Leon is the perfect big brother, always looking out for the little ones. We will never be able to tell this wonderful man how much he has meant to all of us.

Arlen Elroy is the quiet one. He always thinks before he heaps, a trait that all the rest of us wish we had learned too. He never lets his temper get the best of him, and always has something nice to say about his fellow man. The only fault that Arlen has picked up since childhood is that he keeps up with the BYU Cougars and the New York Yankees, sometimes even when it would put most people asleep. Arlen loves his sports, but even that takes a back seat when it comes to loving the family.

Robert Leo uses the wisdom of King Solomon in his dealings with his fellow men. He is respected as a fair man to do business with, but everybody knows (from meeting Bob the first time), that he knowledgable in his dealings. Bob doesn't let the almighty dollar sign get in his way. He remembers his roots and passes his love on to those around him 24 hours a day.

Rhea Dell the first girl, out shines all the boys in having a deep love of those around her, and for her parents. She remembers the past and uses it to make tomorrow a little bit better. A devoted mother in Zion, Rhea will without a doubt be united with not only her beloved mother and father, but with her elder brother Jesus Christ.

Ina May, our jewel of 1944 was taken from us, after only 49 days. She is sorrily missed by us, but we realize she is filling her mission in heaven.

Richard Keith, like Ina May, was taken to his Father In Heaven's side after only 14 days. He too is hard at work in the vineyard, and we are very proud that Ina and Richard are Nortons. We are looking forward to the day we can see them again.

Leonard Lee, the last of Orrin & Della's family, was well protected by his brothers and sister as well as by his parents. Leonard looks up to all of his brothers and sister and trys to emulate their qualities. He has grown to love, because this is what they showed him. He believes that one day all of his brothers and sisters, along with their loving parents will be united again. And he is longing for that day.




I want to find out more of Granny and Poppy's life stories. They are so interesting to me. They lived when things were quite a bit different. I would love for them to write their life stories. Granny has a love for her family history and geneology. I brought home two binders full of documents, pictures, and stories about her family and ancestors. We have families who came across the plains with all the pioneers and settled Utah. My great-great-great-Grandpa George Deliverance Wilson was Joseph Smith's body gaurd in Nauvoo and was in the Mormon Battalion. His mother and father have a series of church books written about them called A Banner is Unfurled. I hope to be able to go through all of Granny's collected information in depth and learn more about these ancestors. I want to post more history and family stories on here! Next up, some Engman stories!

5 comments:

Christine said...

this made me cry.

Julie Carlile said...

Wow your grandparents are amazing! It was so nice to get to know them better through this post. Thanks for sharing it all.

Jen Yak said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I loved to read about Granny and Poppy, and learn more about them.

Anonymous said...

this was great! i am so glad you posted this.

Yo said...

What a wonderful tribute. Granny did have a rough life but she certainly didn't let it stop her. Thanks for sharing:)